Please don't let them film this and ruin it ...

This Week's Recommendation

A Bad Deal for the Whole Galaxy ~ Alex White

Every so often - and surprisingly rarely - I read something that plays out in my minds eye as though it were written for the film director in my head.

This book made me laugh and re-read lines, and then re-read them again out loud, so I could laugh over them again. It made my heart race and my fists tighten in nerves and in triumph and then in nerves again. And it made me cry. Yeah - I teared up guys, so beware. 

A Bad Deal for the Whole Galaxy is - somehow - even more satisfying of a romp than A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe. Among the snark, the sass, the heists, the heroism and the explosions, something that really stood out to me was the way that Alex White balanced the story. 

For every epic battle between machines, there was equally adrenaline-inducing person-to-person. For every technological wonder, a magical talent. For every galactic conflict or discovery, there were personal, or interpersonal ones. 
I cannot recommend this book  enough and I'm impatiently looking forward to getting my hands on the next one! 

Read if: You liked Firefly (Surprise!) You enjoy a well-woven combo of sci-fi tech and fantasy magic.You're into a good conspiracy story. You like ambitious heists. You enjoy characters that aren't so much trying to be heroic as just ... doing what's right and bonus points if they can get some revenge while they're at it.

Warnings: Violence. Death. Loss of agency/tech-mod zombification. Face modding. A knowledge that if this gets made into a movie or t.v. show there's a 99% chance it'll get ruined. A knowledge that if they got it half right it'd be SO GOOD.

Comments

Popular Posts