Under the Wire

...ironically also how the resolution of any good drama occurs.

This week's recommendation

40618519

The Unbound Empire ~ Melissa Caruso

This book was a master-class in pacing. The beginning of the book effortlessly sucked me back in to the world that Caruso created in the last two books, and held my attention until I had to stop for a snack.When I stopped, I realized I had already devoured half the book and I worried that the series had tricked me, that I'd have to wait for yet another book to get to the conclusion. 

Oh how wrong I was. The first half of the book was good, the second half of the book was breathtaking. I was truly blown away by the number of story threads she seamlessly and swiftly wove together into a deft and very very satisfying conclusion. 

If you've read the rest of the series - this book is everything you've been waiting for. If you haven't read the series... please, PLEASE do. It's complete and it's marvelous. It's political and magical and smart and sassy and like a perfectly stoked bonfire in every way.

Oh, and yes, there's kind of a love triangle. Ish. It's not a bad thing. And I usually despise love triangles.

Read if:  You're a fan of smart female characters, who make mistakes and learn from them. You're a fan of interesting familial relationships. You're a fan of male characters who can be dramatic without being overly juvenile and making you want to punch them. You like a little political intrigue along with your fantasy and your magic and your action.

Warnings: Violence. Prejudice. Death. Betrayal. Mind control/coercion. LGBTQ (I think that you might just want to assume that most books I rec on here have a high chance of LGBTQIA rep).

Comments

Popular Posts